Yesterday, 17th May 2023, was World Hypertension Day! As part of Integra’s efforts to raise awareness and increase education for World Hypertension Day and beyond, we have launched a 3-part short blog series on hypertension. We posted our first blog post yesterday on ‘Understanding the Updated Hypertension Guidelines’. Today’s blog is on ‘The Importance of Accurate Blood Pressure Measurements’.
Accurate blood pressure (BP) measurements are fundamental to hypertension management, particularly with the update to the hypertension guidelines as discussed in the 1st blog post of this series. As one of the most prevalent medical conditions globally, hypertension requires precise monitoring to ensure effective treatment and minimize the risk of complications.
By obtaining precise readings, healthcare providers can:
- Identify individuals with consistently elevated blood pressure levels and initiate appropriate interventions
- Assess the effectiveness of prescribed medications and lifestyle modifications over a period of time
- Receive valuable information on how well the treatment plan works and if adjustments are necessary
- Regularly assess an individual’s risk for cardiovascular events; being able to identify precise fluctuations or persistent elevations that may increase the risk of heart attacks, stroke or other complications
- Tailor treatment strategies to individual patients, ensuring optimal blood pressure control and reducing the risk of cardiovascular complications
- Stratify patients based on their risk levels and make informed decisions regarding treatment intensity, the addition or medications or lifestyle modifications
Inaccurate measurements, whether due to improper technique or faulty equipment, can lead to misdiagnosis and/or potentially resulting in a delay in all of what’s mentioned above! Therefore, utilising accurate measurement techniques is vital in establishing an accurate diagnosis of hypertension.
While it is great for individuals with hypertension (or those at-risk) to track their blood pressure levels on an everyday basis using home blood pressure monitors, it is important to ensure you are still visiting your GP to get your BP professionally checked to ensure your at-home measurements match what the precise readings at the clnic are stating. Additionally GPs can ensure the appropriate measures are taken before taking your blood pressure (e.g. the proper seating position, not speaking for 5 minutes before doing the reading and so on), which is vital.
By ensuring accurate BP measurements through proper technique and appropriate monitoring devices, healthcare professionals and patients can work together to achieve optimal blood pressure control, reduce complications, and promote better overall health. Accurate measurements serve as a cornerstone in the effective management of hypertension, enabling individuals to lead healthier lives and prevent long-term cardiovascular consequences.
At Integra, you can get precise, blood pressure screenings. For more information on how to book an appointment for this service, click here.